Planning a kitchen on performing its renovation demands to solve the question about its layout. This aspect is closely connected with the cooking convenience as it manages the arrangement problem on the question of its key items – the sink, the refrigerator as well as the windows, the doors, and the cabinets if you are going to build a new house or simply to enlarge the kitchen area. In this case, you have a lot of space to practice. Renewing of a small cooking room will only let you decide about very few additional options.
You should avoid making your kitchen crumbled and stocked with plenty of appliances if you haven’t got enough place to store them. And on the contrary, if your area is rather big you have more variants of its organizing, but mind that the distance between key places (working, washing, cooking and keeping) is recommended to be no more than 1 meter otherwise you will be too tired after running about the kitchen during the food preparation. The kitchen design layout choice depends on the following questions:
- How much time does the housekeeper usually spend in the kitchen? Is she/he the only cook in the family?
- How big is the family?
- Does the person exploit the kitchen as a dining place?
- Is it a comfortable place for spending time with family and friends?
- What is the housekeeper’s temperament?
- Is the person a right- or left-hand? What is his/her height?
The kitchen should provide you with comfortable place to move between three main spots:
- Keeping place
- Cutting and slicing place
- Cooking area
The most wide-spread kitchen layouts represent the galley, one-wall, L-shaped, U-shaped, and G-shaped (or also called peninsular) and island kitchen forms. Every layout can be characterized by its advantage and disadvantages.
One-wall kitchen layout design
The main feature of this arrangement is placing the cabinets, countertops, refrigerator, sink, range and drawers along one side providing easy and convenient access to all necessary kitchen appliances.
- This is an ideal variant for studios and very little kitchens.
- All the cooking tools can be placed inside the cabinets equipped with sliding doors to save a maximum of
- The working triangular is very ergonomic.
- The biggest problem is to leave enough space to walk in such kind of kitchen.
- From the safety regulations the sink and the range must be separated from each other at least by one counter space that can create additional problems with free space
There are some solutions to the question of effective space organizing in the one-wall layout. So, if you want to have more spare room in the so little kitchen, you can use built-in or compact appliances. Also, it is possible to use a dining table as a counter space too. What is more, it can play the important role of a mini kitchen island.
Galley layout (parallel)
This variant is ideal for big and large kitchens for cooking food only as there is no spare room for placing a dining table. This moment can dominate for those people who want to combine cooking area with a dining one. The cabinets are situated on the opposite sides. It is also a good sample of arrangement for narrow but long rooms. Many commercial restaurants and cafes find his layout very convenient to work in.
- You are supposed to cook having counter space and appliances along two sides which provide you with big opportunities to work together with some assistants.
- It is very comfortable as you can place plates on one side of the kitchen, and pans with other kitchen tools on the other.
- At the same time, you can design a kitchen layout which provides you with perfect natural light when it is possible, thanks to its open pathway between the walls.
- Allows you to install the built-in appliances of any desired size and kind.
- The main disadvantage of this kind of kitchens is that you haven’t got a resting zone, where you can place a table with some chairs.
- Galley kitchens are ideal only for processing and cooking food. But there should be another area to dine. That’s why this model won’t suit people who like to communicate with other family members in the process of cooking.
It is a perfect variant for one-cook, middle-sized kitchen and in some cases is possible for small kitchens. All appliances, cabinets, countertops are situated on three neighboring walls in a perpendicular way.
- The pro of this variant is that the cook will be given enough space for efficient work.
- There is a perfect working place where everything is situated at an arm’s reach.
- Though being designed for little kitchens and middle-sized ones, think twice before purchasing it for your little room. In this cooking area, you’ll be tightened between the working place with the cabinets and drawers. The recommended distance between the legs of the “U” is at least 90 cm.
- It will be difficult or even impossible to incorporate a dishwasher near the sink as there can be very little open space.
Decide about the placing of the refrigerator, as there is little place within the “U”, the best variant will be to arrange it out of space. This solution will give you more space for keeping food and kitchen ware not far from the store and the microwave oven.
You can also create an island but only in the case of enough area.
Designers recommend having 1-meter distance between the cutting table (the island) and the nearest drawers and cabinets. You may additionally equip your cabinets with sliding doors instead of ordinary ones for comfortable moving about the kitchen.
Mind the lightning. Take care about the proper light because centrally placed lamps won’t work well enough. Complement them with little-inserted light sources above the main working areas.
L-shaped kitchens are very popular nowadays. The cabinets are placed along two neighboring walls in a perpendicular way. You can choose this layout if you have even small -sized kitchen and it is supposed that there will be one cook here.
Big kitchens offer you more variants of possible layouts, so this example will be too little in big space, and therefore not very convenient as you will be exhausted while running about the kitchen from one working zone to another.
- You are provided with a sort of comfort performing the cooking work alone.
- The cook can easily communicate with the guests.
- It is very easy to complement L-shaped kitchens with a dining area.
- It is an ideal form for organizing the working triangular as its furniture and electrical appliances are situated very close to one another.
- This kitchen isn’t a good choice for narrow and big rooms.
It is a modification of the U-shaped kitchen with adding one more side, which is often called a peninsular. Mind that the forth leg should be long enough to let people get in and out without any problems. The short length of the peninsular makes it impossible to equip with necessary tools.
- It allows additional space for more than one cook.
- This G-shaped configuration gives a cook four wall with working places.
- It gives an opportunity to install practically any desired equipment into its cabinets.
- Some people still don’t like this layout because it provides practically circular configuration, enclosed space which is not always convenient.
There are also combined layouts of having U-shaped form and an island with the sink or a counter space as well as dining table in some cases. In spite of the obvious comfort during the cooking process and the chance to interact with other people and keep contact to them, there can be some annoying feature for some people – the constant necessity to pass by and around this island when serving the dishes instead of the straight path towards the dining table.
How to choose the right variant of the kitchen layout? Experts in kitchen ergonomics recommend doing the following.
- To make a detailed floor plan with all necessary elements – exact dimensions, doors and windows, engineering communications, ventilation and electric plug-ins.
- Try to sketch your future or desired kitchen. You can make it with the help of online planners and special software programs. They are very user-friendly and often supplied with special training tutorials. That’s why very often they are intuitionally clear for beginners, allowing them to build a virtual room, arrange furniture, choose flooring, wall color etc.
- Address to design specialists if you still need help. Experienced designers and managers will offer you some variants of kitchen layout. And you will have to choose the best one that will coincide with your ideas about dream kitchen. Most companies can do such service for free while some others can include the fee into your future purchase at this company.
Following these kitchen layouts and design ideas connected with them, you have an opportunity to create your unique kitchen.